Do you really need an attorney in Municipal Court?
The Municipal Court handles matters ranging from traffic tickets, to misdemeanour criminal offenses.
Many people don’t consider how serious the consequences of being found guilty in a matter before a Municipal Court can be. A defendant maybe being found guilty will give an individual with an otherwise clean record a criminal conviction. Furthermore, a Municipal Court defendant may be required to pay substantial fines and may even be looking at a sentence in jail.
You need professional and goal driven legal advice and someone who can defend your rights or/and make a submission of mitigating circumstances.
Being required to appear in Municipal Court is distressing. By-laws can be enforced by courts of law and transgressors can be punished.
Municipal Council’s has the power to make and administer by-laws which includes:
• Air Quality Management
• Beaches and amusement facilities
• Billboards and the display of advertisements in public spaces
• Cemeteries, funeral parlours and crematoria
• Control of public nuisances
• Control of undertakings that sell liquor to the public
• Facilities of the accommodation, care and burial of animals
• Fencing and fence
• Filming and graffiti
• Licensing of dogs
• Licensing and control of undertakings that sell food and liquor to the public
• Local amenities and public spaces
• Local sport facilities
• Municipal abattoirs
• Municipal parks and recreation
• Municipal roads
• Noise pollution
• Street trading and lighting
• Traffic and Parking
• Refuse removal, refuse dumps and solid waste disposal &
• Water and waste water.